Monday 22 December 2008

21st Panzer (Why?)

My existing WW2 forces are heavily weighted towards Western Europe after Normandy. I have been collecting mainly German units plus a smattering of American. The German units are made up a little randomly and I've never really settled on an historical formation. Rapid Fire do publish very nice generic unit organisations which I have loosely followed. These have been used in pickup games and have given good service but.....its about time I started to create a force based on historical units.

I have been trying to remember why I've settled on the 21st Panzer as a basis for my primary Kampfgruppe. My first encounter with this force must have been within the pages Rapid Fire's 1st supplement "Unit Organisations for the 1944-45 Campaign in North West Europe" by Colin Rumford. Here Mr Rumford has outlined a 1380 point force with a good mix of units. But the event that made me decided on the 21st Panzer was after reading "Panzer Commander" which are the memoirs of Colonel Hans Von Luck . This is extremely good read and I would recommed it to any one interested in WWII. It charts his experiences from Poland in 1939 though France then North Africa and Normandy ending in Russia in 1945.

Next I will confirm the units that will be included in my Kampfgruppe based on the 21st Panzer Division.

No comments:

I have been wargaming for 10 years in which time I have finally settled on two eras, Napoleonic and WWII, both in 15mm (1:100). Most of my ramblings will be about gaming in these two eras. An attempt will be made to record my wargaming interests, building of armies, ideas, interests and hopefully some games played.