Monday 22 December 2008

To start

This blog will hopefully chart my wargaming progress from this point onwards. The posting will cover projects and their progress along with games and any gaming related ideas. But first a little about myself.

I've been wargaming for approximately 10 years and possibly like many gamers been meandering though scales, eras and rules sets. Started off meeting with three other guys locally. This has now diminished to just two which has helped in narrowing down interests and which rule sets to use. When it was the four of us there would not seem to be a month go by when "...I've found this excellent new rule set for ....era.... it will mean re-basing but lets give it a go....." would not ring out. I cannot get my head around any rule set in one play. Any rule set is some ones interpretation of gaming mechanics and it takes many plays to fully understand how the author has arrived these rules.

Now it is just the two of us, even though we do not game as often as we would like, we we have settled on two main rule sets and the rules come back to use reasonably easily. Finally settled on 15mm scale for all figures in two eras, Naploeonic and WWII. The two rule sets we mainly use are Shako for Napoleonic and Rapid Fire for WWII. You may say that Rapid Fire are for 20mm figures but they do work just as well for 15mm figures.

Additionally I do like the computer rules Hard Pounding for Napoleonics. These do give an element of random uncontrol to your units which does add an extra dimension when issuing commands. We only get to game with these once or twice a year at a weekend as these games tend to last longer than and evening. But as they are computer driven all the mechanics/casualties/movement are calculated for you leaving you, the gamer, to command.

Also we have recently come across the DBN rule set. Though we have not gamed with these rule extensively they are and excellent set of rules to enable us to fit in one or even two quick Napoleonic games in a short evening.

I think that briefly covers it for now, hope to put a few more posts up soon covering at least one of my current projects.

No comments:

I have been wargaming for 10 years in which time I have finally settled on two eras, Napoleonic and WWII, both in 15mm (1:100). Most of my ramblings will be about gaming in these two eras. An attempt will be made to record my wargaming interests, building of armies, ideas, interests and hopefully some games played.