Sunday 15 March 2009

Bookshops are dangerous

Well dangerous in as much as my partner and I find bookshops fascinating and normally if entered cannot escape without some purchase under our arms. This Sunday being no exception. After we both decided to walk into Lincoln to have a bimble around, it was inevitable that we would end up inside a bookshop. The book below is one that did not escape my grasp.



Once picked up I knew it had to find its way back onto my bookshelf. It focuses on the common Infantry Division soldier between 1939-45. It does not cover Panzer or SS troops nor has it any officer uniforms or equipment. However, it is a fantastic book, covering all items of clothing and equipment carried by the common German soldier during WWII. All illustrations are photographs of actual items in full colour with informative text. It starts with an introduction that sets the scene for the common soldier then continues with chapters on helmets, through uniforms and equipment, ending with chapters on music, tobacco, and leave and leisure. Contents of chapters contain such items as cameras, ration books, field telephones, shoe mines.....I don't think there is much missing.

It can be difficult to identify what each item is on some castings before painting. With this book in hand all items should be identifiable. I only wish I'd found this book before painting my German Infantry.....

No comments:

I have been wargaming for 10 years in which time I have finally settled on two eras, Napoleonic and WWII, both in 15mm (1:100). Most of my ramblings will be about gaming in these two eras. An attempt will be made to record my wargaming interests, building of armies, ideas, interests and hopefully some games played.