Sunday 29 March 2009

A horse a horse my paintbrush and a horse

Someone thinks I enjoy painting horses. Hmmm well I have had these horse for several weeks if not months waiting to be finished. Painted on the undercoats but then ...... each time I pick them up I got painters block, could not not see how they should look. Am I alone in getting these blocks? I've kept try to tell myself that they are only horses but to no avail. I think part of this block is that someone has asked me to paint them, as in his opinion I can paint good horses. That immediately puts pressure on, and I want them to look good.

Anyway forced myself to slap a little more paint on them the other night. The starting point was as below with basic undercoats applied.


One problem I find with Minifig horses is that there is minimal releaf in the castings. The owner seems to like the big round rumps of these horses, (not sure if that is sexual or not :-) ), but to me they seem plain and stiff. I've no enthusiasm to paint them.

After a while and a few more slaps of paint and I think they're ready for stabling.



Not too sure about the grey but I hope they're acceptable.

3 comments:

Rampent Warrior said...

Sorry, but I must disagree with your statement about Minifig horses having " minimal relief".
I have always found the relief to be pretty good, and on the whole they can be painted up to very good standards. Indeed your photos tend to prove this, (despite you "slapping" the paint on !), and the owner ought to be very pleased with the results. At least Minifig horses tend to look like horses unlike some of the "ponies" that are produced by some of the other manufacturers.

Ian said...

Well he must have liked them as he's asked me to paint some more. :-))

We have the same disagreement between ourselves. I just prefer the AB style of horse. They seem to have more texture and to my eyes a little more life like. The relief of bridles and harness etc is good on Minifigs. But they are only counters on the table after all.

Thanks for posting the comment I'll take it as a compliment.

Belinda C said...

Thank you for writing this post

I have been wargaming for 10 years in which time I have finally settled on two eras, Napoleonic and WWII, both in 15mm (1:100). Most of my ramblings will be about gaming in these two eras. An attempt will be made to record my wargaming interests, building of armies, ideas, interests and hopefully some games played.